News: Job Vacancy: Tiverton Canal Co. Seeking Boatman
Date Added: 12/04/2014 @ 11:11am
THIS VACANCY HAS NOW BEEN FILLED.
Would you like to work with Heavy Horses?
Are you over 18, active, a lover of the outdoors, and a fast learner?
If so, this unique job opportunity may be for you…
We are looking for a boatman to work with our horses, guiding them along the canal on our 11 mile barge trips and help keep the horse drawn barge tradition alive.
- Local to the Tiverton area / able to get to the Canal with ease on the days and times required.
- A genuine willingness to work as part of a team on the last horse-drawn barge in the West country, on the Grand Western Canal Country Park and Local Nature Reserve in Tiverton.
- Our horses hold a very important position within this business, so a genuine love and empathy towards animals is important, as their happiness is essential.
- Being able to swim is mandatory – due to the nature of the job and exposure to water.
- A certain amount of physical strength is required as well as enjoying walking and working outside.
- Previous experience working with horses and animals would be preferable, although any successful applicant will be given full training in all aspects so it is not essential.
- In choosing to join our small and friendly team as crew for the 2014 season you will be helping to keep the last horse-drawn barge in the West country alive for another generation.
This job will be open until the end of October: 3 days a week - 8.30am - 5.30pm (dependent upon trips operating) with possibility for more days.
- You will be required groom horse/restock barge.
- Taking passengers on 2 ½ hour return trips, twice daily.
To apply call Jacquie on 01884 253345 (Telephone application only please)
Open Tuesday to Sunday 9.30am to 4.30pm (closed Mondays)